-- --

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Public Art at the Lever House

Hello Kitty at the Lever House, NYC
Photo by myself in the courtyard of the Lever House, at 390 Park Avenue, at Park Avenue and 53rd Street.

A collection of giant bronze sculptures is currently on display at the Lever House, one of the seminal buildings in modern architecture. By the artist Tom Sachs, these huge Hello Kitty and bunny sculptures provide startling contrast to their surroundings.

--

I never thought Hello Kitty and the Lever House could go together, but here they are!

The Lever House is one of my favorite tall buildings, for its gorgeous, spare detailing. It was built in 1951 by SOM (Skidmore, Owings and Merrill). The curtain walls of this building are made of stainless steel, which resembles a precious metal.

I walked by the Lever House Tuesday afternoon. It was lovely to see people enjoying the courtyard, which seems perfectly sized. There's a 24-story building there, but you wouldn't know it.

For the snazzy website for the Lever House restaurant, click here
For more on the Hello Kitty installation, click here.

Related posts: Architecture, A Glorified Profession, Building Big and Looking Up, in Park Slope.

8 comments:

Olivier said...

c'est un autoportrait ;o) c'est ma petite nièce qui serait contente, elle adore Kitty.

is a self-portrait ;o) my little niece is to be happy, she loves Kitty.

Mom Knows Everything said...

I never thought of Hello Kitty as art, but hey it's kinda neat. Have a great Easter Kitty!

Ken Mac said...

your photos are always so straight. Well done.

spandrel studios said...

What a great-looking building. I always wonder if the people working at such a place just see it as where they work and do their thing every day, or if the beauty of the space is something they mentally give thanks for, ever? I hope someone appreciates it!

dianasfaria.com said...

I love how you have captured this kitty... Kitty.
Seriously, I do, & now I want to go have lunch at that swanky restaurant & see some public art while I'm at it.
Thanks for the tip.
; )

Lowell said...

It doth look out of place. Is that true in person, also.

Cute, but not cute enough.

Teri Tynes said...

I have a friend who saw my image of Hello Kitty on Flickr and just commented, "No."

Tea Tea said...

does the Hello Kitty fountain still there???