-- --

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Walking the Brooklyn Bridge

On the Brooklyn Bridge
Photo by myself on the Brooklyn Bridge, looking toward Manhattan.

There are lanes for pedestrians and bikes on the Brooklyn Bridge. The cyclists ride very fast, so it's best not to stray from your lane. I was almost bowled over a couple times.

The pedestrian walkway is elevated above the level that carries cars. You can see the traffic whizzing by through the gaps in the floorboards. Looking up, you can see a panoramic view through the diagonal cables, from the Statue of Liberty and lower Manhattan in the South to the Manhattan Bridge and Lower East Side, to the North.

Many people were snapping photos Wednesday evening, posing or just enjoying the view. Once across the bridge into Brooklyn, you're in Brooklyn Heights. You can also visit Dumbo, an area named for being 'Down Under the Manhattan Bridge Overpass', which has a waterfront atmosphere.

For those interested in walking across, take the N/R to the City Hall station. You'll find the pedestrian entrance near the eastern side of City Hall.

Related posts: On the Brooklyn Bridge, Fall From Above and More of the Brooklyn Bridge.

10 comments:

EMNM said...

I been there last week, amazing bridge! and as you say the cyclists ride very fast!!
NYC it´s a wonderfull city, i´m love it

Regards from Madrid

Laurent said...

Certainly one of my favourite spot in NY ! Nice picture.

roentare said...

Excellent capture in deed. I missed that bridge that I was there 2001

ChickenUnderwear said...

I run over that bridge about once a week. I never take it for granted. Never.

Terry at Blue Kitchen said...

This is one of my favorite New York things to do, Kitty! And I love that it's not just tourists. Many New Yorkers treat it as a leisure activity--and for some, it's simply a means for getting from one borough to the other.

Unknown said...

Great photo!

I feel like an idiot as I have yet to be able to enter the Brooklyn Bridge as a biker/walker -- I just can't figure out the instructions to get there. Eventually...

brattcat said...

Your photographs are really fabulous, Kitty. This is a terrific shot of the bridge. And of NY.

dianasfaria.com said...

do you believe this very morning I wrote myself a note to take a walk across this bridge? I keep forgetting that I want to do that someday. thanks for the reminder!

Leif Hagen said...

Kitty - love your photos - very "artsy-fartsy" - that's a compliment. NYC is a fun place to visit! Thanks from EAGAN daily photo in Minnesota's Twin Cities

Mike said...

I love the view from there.