-- --

Saturday, June 20, 2009

'Killer' Games at School

Crowd, 23rd Street
Photo by myself near Madison Square Park, at 25th Street and Madison Avenue.

Yet another photo of the crowd at the BBQ Festival from last weekend. Due to technical difficulties and the recent rash of rain, I'm digging into my photo stash tonight.

--

There's a great short article in the latest New Yorker Magazine about a game that takes place yearly at a Brooklyn private school. For 2 1/2 weeks near the end of the school year, students take part in 'Killer', a serious water pistol game.

The game sounds like a thriller movie. Teams stalk one another, planting decoys and waiting in ambush. When a player is shot (with water), he or she is eliminated. Each team contributes $20 into the communal pot. Winner takes all.

I have to say I'm surprised. Having watched years of Law and Order episodes all I can think of are water pistols mistaken for real guns, or kids becoming overly competitive and obsessed about winning.

Mark says that the same game is played in other cities, too, and is sometimes called 'Assassin'.

You'll have to register to read the New Yorker article Click here to read it.

Related posts: Crowded Sidewalk, Midtown, Candid, Midtown and A View from the Streets.

1 comments:

Kizz said...

Back in the early 90s when I was at NYU we played Assassin and it was ridiculously fun. I'm sort of glad that people are still playing it but you're absolutely right, it seems like it has the potential to go horribly wrong.