-- --

Friday, January 7, 2011

A Moment on the Subway Platform

Waiting
Photo by myself on the subway platform.

Heading home Thursday night, I felt a bit sad that I hadn't taken any photos all day. It was stressful day at work (this entire week has been terribly stressful). Then I spotted a woman on the subway platform.

She had wonderfully defined features. And even though the light was fluorescent, it was great. Then we heard the sounds of an approaching train. The front light was just visible, coming along the track.

The train pulled in. We all stepped on.

If there is a message about photography that I can impart, it would be this - it doesn't take much. There is something special even in the mundane moment. It can be the color or the angle or the quality of light.

Of course, you don't even need a camera. You just need at least one eyeball. The camera is just there to record and preserve and share the moment, later on.

Related posts: The Subway Platform, 59th Street, On Taking Candids and A Much-Needed Nap.

13 comments:

Olivier said...

belle prise photographique, ce moment de pose dans la vie trépignante new-yorkaise.

Antonina said...

The words accompanying this image are brilliant - thank you for sharing!

Luis Gomez said...

Gorgeous shot! Love it Kitty.

khUthU said...

hearts aglow :) sweet.

Washington Cesar Takeuchi said...

Hi Kitty!
That's the beauty of photography, to see the world through the eyes of another person. Thanks for keeping your eyes wide open and for sharing your day to day and the beauty of New York with us.

Louis la Vache said...

Outstanding, Kitty!
You really excel at capturing moments like this.

dianasfaria.com said...

I so agree with your message. So true. It's so much about seeing, noticing.
& this is a nice one Kitty.

Ancsi said...

you have the eye to catch the moment...it's a beautiful talent!

Bella said...

Lovely shot! Totally making tangible what life in New York is like!

John-Roy Photography said...

Did candid!

cadetcactus said...

simply stunning - i love it!

Ming the Merciless said...

I have taken some good photos from those rare times when the train door is opening or closing and you have only one chance to catch the shot.

Great job on it.

Anonymous said...

I love your last sentence.
The other day I was driving down a city road and witnessed the most amazing sunset from inside my car. I really wished I had my camera or at least my phone at hand, but it wasn't to be. Then I wished that someone invented a contact lens that worked as a camera, so I could just blink and record all the beautiful moments that I witness.