-- --

Saturday, September 22, 2007

Eats and Drinks


City folk are very particular about a handful of things, like their bagels, their coffee and their pizza.

The debate over who makes the best pizza in New York is endless. For thin-crust lovers, there's Lombardi's, Arturo's, John's and (the multiple) Ray's.

I am a longtime Lombardi's lover. Their sauce is simple and delicious, sprinkled with fresh, chopped basil. The slightly crunchy, slightly chewy crust essentially defines New York style pizza. Mark and I have a weakness for their flavorful proscuitto topping. Yum.

Fortunately, every neighborhood seems to its own great pizza place, so you don't have to travel far. Don Giovanni in Hell's Kitchen makes a mouth-watering white clam pizza. There's Patsy's, on University Place, (though I'd rather choose among their tasty pasta selection, served family style). Even Greenpoint has it's own place. Mark and I get the Grandma style pizza from Casanova - a 9-square pie covered with juicy tomatoes, garlic and cheese. Oh my.

Finally, there's Two Boots, which is a different animal altogether. The cornmeal crust, the spicy sauce and the fancy toppings - broccoli, artichoke, shitake mushroom and pinapple, make their pies decidedly un-traditional. Originally, I pitted Lombardi's against Two Boots, until Mark said there'd be no contest; Lombardi's would win, hands down.

See, New Yorkers and their food. Opinionated!

For another debate on NYC pizza, click here.


Photo by myself, at Porto Rico Importing in the East Village. This is the place for you, if you just need to get your beans without suffering the lines of Fairway or Whole Foods. They have a great selection, ground to your preference.

3 comments:

Mom Knows Everything said...

My sister works at Pizza Delight. I love their pizza, especially the seafood pizza. mmm! One of the best things is I usually don't have to pay for it. hehehe!

Kitty said...

lol, Tammy!

Mom Knows Everything said...

I always leave her a tip, not enough to cover the pizza, but I still leave a tip. LOL