-- --

Friday, October 3, 2008

Asleep on the D Train

Sleeping on the subway
Photo by myself on the subway.

After a long day, people will take a nap anywhere they can.

--

The economic climate has definitely affected us. This morning I heard about another small design firm that laid off 6 of its 15 employees, because a couple major projects had fallen through.

Our clients are decidedly grouchy. Last night, a coworker found himself in a heated argument with an ornery client. Everyone stayed quiet, while my poor coworker found himself blamed for just about every little thing.

Wednesday morning, I talked with the decorator of the new project I'm working on, a modest renovation of a three-bedroom apartment on Central Park West. We commiserated about how clients want more for their money, while the amount of legwork remains the same.

(Yes, even the super wealthy want to save a few bucks).

The solution? Take a nap I guess, and dream sweet dreams.

Related posts: Wednesday Portraits - The New York Times, Sleeping on the Job, On The Job.

16 comments:

Pat said...

I just adore photos like this. The "Please don't lean on the door" sign adds to it too, since you wonder just when the fellow is going to slide over...

Wonderful.

Anonymous said...

It always amazes me, how people can sleep on the subway! Even when I commuted on the train, I always felt hyper-vigilant, between guarding my laptop and making sure I wasn't so distracted that I missed my own stop. Great shot!

Olivier said...

le temps d'une sieste, rien de mieux pour se redonner la forme. Belle photo b&w

time for a nap, nothing better to revive the form. Nice picture b&w

Snl said...

Awesome photo! I never had the chance to see something like during my vacations in New York, it would give a great photo!

dianasfaria.com said...

he looks so comfortable! his seat mate looks like she could use a nap too.

dianasfaria.com said...

wait, I swear her eyes were open last time I looked...

Barbara Rahal said...

what a monet!! I was myself really falling asleep yesterday like this guy...lucky Im not close to you ...Imagine my surprise fo seeing myself on a blog page..a ah haha nice one!

Hope said...

so tired...glad it's Friday...maybe we can all get some rest during the weekend!

Janet Kincaid said...

Oh, I have a pithy, tongue in cheek retort about this picture, but I'll refrain! ;-)

Personally, I think it's a fabulous photo and really captures that moment we all feel on the commute home!

Anonymous said...

Someone had written( I believe he
was Sacha Guitry,French writter)
"to look at someone sleeping is as reading a letter that It'snt for you"

Ineke said...

haha, fantastic. very brave too to take a photo like this.

Profile Not Available said...

I love this shot! I agree with Bibi, the sign adds that something extra! With my luck, I would have forgotton to shut off the flash...

Great find!

valeria said...

You are so good at taking photos of people. I always feel a bit embarassed. Ok, this couple on the train were sleeping, but there is always someone on you photos. I like your blog very much and your writings too.
Valeria xxx

Kris McCracken said...

Did you have away with his wallet? ;)

Anonymous said...

what a great shot, I love it!!you have a talent for the right timing!! bravo!!

tr3nta said...

great real life capture... Beautiful...