-- --

Thursday, February 19, 2009

Start Spreading the News

Kiosk cat, Park Slope Brooklyn
Photo by myself at a newsstand in Park Slope, Brooklyn.

Many kiosks and neighborhood delis in New York house cats. These guys earn their keep by controlling the rodent population.

This beautiful cat was extremely friendly, catching my eye Wednesday night. He rolled over on the grimy floor without hesitation.

--

You wouldn't think there were so many animals in the city. There are animals all over the place - pets of all kinds, pigeons and varmints.

Late last fall, Mark and I were walking on a busy Brooklyn street. I looked up and saw an enormous red-tailed hawk perched on the street light. He was looking for a pigeon dinner and was in the right place!

Related posts: The Guy with a Cat on His Head, On Fish, Cats and Dogs and Cats on Leashes.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

The wildlife and pets in NYC is like my backyard. The numbers there makes it a huge grocery store for things that prey on them -- like the red tailed hawk. They probably have nests in Central Park.

Abraham Lincoln
Brookville Daily Photo

Olivier said...

photo culte, en plus il pose pour toi ;o))

Anonymous said...

I was thinking just this evening, that you don't see many cats around here. Back in the UK when I go out for my run off an evening I am tripping over them all the time but here I only see 3 or 4 cats on a 5 mile run.

Amazing re the hawk.

Liza Jane said...

LOVE this post! And great blog to boot! Cheers, OLJ

Mom Knows Everything said...

We have a house cat at our local church. I don't think it was a rodent problem, but more of a homeless cat that they took in. He looks a lot like that cat.

valeria said...

How sweet! I couldn't resist, I'd tickle the cat!

Fredrik said...

So cute!

Lori said...

So interesting. I've always said that the truest sign of a good neighborhood is the friendliness of its cats. Funny that this is true of NY/Brooklyn, and just further reason for me to want to live there at least once in my life.

Anonymous said...

There is still good people around the world..greetings from Spain, where sadly, we have much to learn from you guys (if u are sensitive about animals, dont come)