-- --

Monday, August 11, 2014

Portrait of a Barber, in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn

Tony's in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn
Photo by myself around 50th Street and Fifth Avenue, in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn.

Mark and I drove through Bay Ridge the other day, and a storefront with distinctive lettering caught my eye. I had to take a photo.

Along a strip of eateries and bodegas stood a barber shop from another era. There were the remnants of a tattered awning, rusted roll down doors and a motley assortment in the window - an overgrown plant, an American flag, a couple model ships.

Inside, I was greeted by Tony, the proprietor. Tony told me that he opened his shop fifty years ago. At first I had trouble understanding him and thought he'd said fifteen. No, fifty of course. And the place has remained unchanged.

Haircuts and a shave are ten bucks apiece. Tony soon had a customer. I took my leave, not wanting to distract him. I left, walking on air.

Tony's Barbershop, Bay Ridge, Brooklyn
I was so excited by original furnishings and wooden cash register, that I forgot to get out of the photo. Behind me, Tony takes a phone call.

Tony's Barbershop, Bay Ridge, Brooklyn
Tony greets his customer with a little kidding around.

Tony's in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn
Everything gets serious as the master begins work.

The Portrait Series is a once-in-a-while installment, featuring New Yorkers encountered on the street.

Related posts: Portrait of an Entrepreneur, on the Upper East Side, Portrait of a Bike Messenger, in Midtown, and Portrait of a Film Shoot, in Brooklyn Heights.

4 comments:

RedPat said...

There seem to be a lot of these old barbers around here too! I don't know what will happen when they all retire.

Sadie said...

love it. A glorious slice of history.
And loved seeing a little glimpse of you in the photo too Kitty.

Kitty said...

Hi RedPat,
Yes, I was talking to someone about the same thing today. It's a generational thing. I assume there will then be no barbers?

Thanks Sadie!!

Banjo52 said...

I've started going to Great Clips, and while they're OK, it's just not the same.